Water damage occurs in all areas of the home, from a leaking roof, to an overflowing toilet, to water in your crawlspace. Having someone you trust that is capable to act fast any time of the day or night that will respond to your needs is crucial when you need them most. Water damage left uncared for will create dry rot, mold, and odors that will produce more extensive damage than reacting when water damage first happens.
In the event of water damage, do the following:
- Call Disaster Response Team by UltraClean immediately at 208-887-4740.
- Stop the source of the water as soon as possible.
- If safe to do so, turn off circuit breakers supplying electricity to all wet areas.
- Unplug and remove all small electrical appliances, lamps, etc.
- Remove all table top and small items that are wet or in the way of restoration efforts.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by wiping and blotting water away using clean white towels.
- Remove or prop up cushions, furniture skirts, and drapes to prevent water marks.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting to avoid carpet stains.
- Remove Orientals, area rugs, and other colored rugs from wall-to-wall carpeting.
- Move valuable paintings and art objects to a safe place.
- Open drawers and cabinet drawers for faster drying.
Do not attempt the following:
- Using any type of home vacuum, even shop vacs, because of the risk of electrical shock.
- Using electrical appliances while standing on wet carpet or floors, particularly on wet concrete floors.
- Turning on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Keep out of rooms where the ceiling appears wet.
- Leaving books, magazines, shoes, potted plants, etc. on wet carpets or floors.
- Placing newspaper in traffic areas, since the ink transfers easily.
- Walking on wet carpet any more than necessary.
- Increasing or decreasing temperatures unless told to do so by our representative.
- In sewage losses, specifically do not handle contaminated items.
- Staying in the property if you have respiratory problems, are under age 2 or over age 60, pregnant, or have a weak immune system.
Upon completion of extracting all the water in your home, we focus on insuring all the building materials in your home are completely dry. Structural drying is specifically important to avoid further damage to the structure. No matter what elements need to be dried, whether drywall, hardwood floors, tile floors, or carpet, Disaster Response Team by UltraClean technicians know how to use the right equipment to ensure your home is back to normal. Many of our clients are extremely happy to find out that they don’t have to buy new flooring after a water damage disaster because we can restore their existing floor for a fraction of the cost of new.